The farmhouse at 10521 Darmstadt Road was part of the Charles Volkman farmstead. Built in the late 1800s, it encompassed about 80 acres and was situated about 8 miles from downtown Evansville. The newly formed Vanderbugh Auto club purchased the property in 1915 and remodeled the 2-story farmhouse . Driver could cruise “through bracing country air” and stop at the auto club for a bite. Other amenities such as a stocked lake, playground, and tennis courts attracted other people to the club.
The Vanderburgh Auto Club was short-lived though, because by 1920 the facility operated as the Clear Crest Inn. It was more of a roadhouse serving food and providing evening entertainment.
The Evansville Club, a Jewish social club located in what is now the No-Ruz Grotto, was looking for property in the country as a respite from their downtown site. In 1921, they bought the old auto club, remodeled the clubhouse, and put in a golf course. The club officially opened as the Clearcrest Country Club in summer 1922.
There was a giant fire June 22, 1939, and eight people barely made it out with their lives. The buildings were a total loss, but the club rebuilt within a year. A new clubhouse, designed by Edwin Berendes, is the same one still standing today.
The golf course was sold to a private owner around 1990 and was opened to the public. It continued operating for a number of years until it finally closed late Winter 2014. It was sold at auction the next year and is currently slated to become a subdivision.